The Summer Program Director (SPD) reports to the Board of Directors. This position has two main responsibilities: 1) supports summer staff and 2) oversees day-to-day programming for Win Our World (WOW) Urban Ministry according to its mission statement and vision.
Mission: Christ focused, youth led ministry – providing faith formation, leadership development, and service opportunities – in creative collaboration to build a strong, loving community.
Vision: Generations of youth leaders discovering gifts, responding to needs, and creating a sacrificially Loving community.
- Passionate, faithful Christ-follower
- A desire to make a difference in the lives of youth and young adults
- An understanding and passion for developing youth leaders
- Experience working with youth and young adults (middle school – college)
- Strong over-all communication skills, including a basic understanding of social media
- Ability to intentionally coach, empower, step-back and allow youth to lead
- Understanding and acceptance of urban setting
- Project management – ability to support youth through daily projects beginning to end
- Work well with volunteers (adults)
- College degree
- Hold a valid Driver’s License
Job Details – Support Summer Staff
WOW hires rising high school seniors and 1styear college-students to serve as Pillar Leaders and Pillar Assistants. These youth are empowered to lead the summer program. The SPD will direct, coach, and empower these youth to lead a safe summer program.
WOW identifies Team Members, middle and high school youth, who are being trained as leaders. These youth often lead mission sites and a variety of activities. The SPD will support these youth in their training position.
Job Details – Oversee Day-to-Day Programming
There are specific daily programs and activities vital to the mission of WOW. The SPD will support youth to ensure these programs are completed from set-up to clean-up.
- 15 hours prior to the summer:
- Staff Retreat: Date TBD
- Flexible: meet with Executive Board (Chelsea, Sarah, Angie), meet key WOW contacts (i.e.: Monday Realty, YMCA, mission partners.)
- Support with sermon preparation & overall theological foundations for support theme
- May 31-June 5 Planning retreat (Knoxville)
- June 7-12 Week 1
- June 14-19 Week 2
- June 21-26 Week 3
Daily Hours (WOW Weeks 0-3)
- Sundays 5:00 pm – 9:30 pm
- Mondays 8:00 am – 8:30 pm
- Tuesdays 8:00 am – 8:30 pm
- Wednesdays 8:00 am – noon
- Thursdays 8:00 am – 8:30 pm
- Fridays 8:00 am – 2:30 pm
Average: 50 hours per week.
Sample Day (Monday, Tuesday & Thursday):
- 8:45 am – Participate in Staff Meeting, reviewing day’s activities and setting tone for the day
- 9:00 – 9:30 – Support youth in Mission Site preparation
- 9:30 – Support youth getting everyone out the door to mission sites, direct youth to clean kitchen, be prepared to trouble-shoot the unexpected (sick camper, cancelled mission site, missing supplies for mission site…)
- 9:45-11:45 – Support staff as they prepare for afternoon or evening activities. Be available for groups returning early (help staff have a plan), check in with kitchen, support staff in preparations for evening activities.
- 12:00-1:00 Help staff welcome back mission site groups. Lunch. Lovingly direct youth to interact with all guests. Oversee intentional mission site debrief.
- 1:00-2:00 – Support staff in prep and facilitation of pillar time, direct youth to clean kitchen, be prepared to trouble-shoot the unexpected.
- 2:00-4:00 – Support youth getting everyone out the door to afternoon mission sites
- 4:00-6:00 – Check in with caterer. Support staff as they prepare for planned social activities, worship and evening activities.
- 6:00-7:00 – Dinner. Lovingly direct youth to interact with all guests. Assist staff w/worship prep.
- 7:00-8:00 – Support staff through worship. Dismiss guests for the evening.
- 8:00-9:00 Debrief day with staff. Troubleshoot fore the next day. Oversee affirmations.
The SPD will:
- Communicate with Executive Board (Chelsea, Sarah and/or Angie) daily the first week, then as needed throughout the summer.
- Report to Executive Board any concerns regarding staff and/or guests
- Work with staff to have daily social media posts of great things happening at WOW
- Provide weekly summary, debrief notes, and highlights/blessings of the week to Executive Board.
Budget and Finance
The SPD will:
- Access to WOW debit card as needed to support the organizations summer work
- Follow WOW’s financial practices and protocol
- Support youth in responsible use of WOW debit card permit the organization to carry out its daily work
- Pay based on experience.
- No benefits are included. Taxes will be withheld.
Contact Us for more information